Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays! It gives me a reason to celebrate how incredibly lucky I am to be a mother. Not just any mother, but a mother to a little girl and a little boy who are medical miracles. My Mother's Days have always been great! My very first Mother's Day (2007) was special because Maryam had only been home from the hospital for 13 days and it was her first holiday at home. She had already had Christmas, New Year, Valentine's Day, St. Paddy's Day and Easter in the NICU. It was nice to be able to spend Mother's Day at home with my precious little baby. My second Mother's Day (2008) was spent at Disneyland. It was going to be our new tradition! Every year on Mother's Day I'd get to go to my favorite place on Earth, Disneyland! It was wonderful! Maryam was on oxygen and had a feeding tube still, but that didn't slow us down. We all had a great time! My third Mother's Day (2009) was spent down the street from Disneyland, at Children's Hospital of Orange County. Maryam had completed week one of four weeks at the CHOC inpatient feeding clinic. That was an amazing day. Maryam was eating orally! Sure, I celebrated Mother's Day in the hospital, but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have an eater now! That was my biggest wish for all my birthday candles, shooting stars, eye lashes on my cheeks and coins in the fountain. It was also my first and last prayer of every single day. My fourth Mother's Day (2010) was spent at Disneyland AND CHOC. Ha! We had a great time at Disneyland until Maryam took a header off of a wall and cracked her face open. At that point, we spent the rest of Mother's Day in the ER at CHOC. It could have been worse!
This year, like all the years before, Mother's Day was another great day! I spent the day with my own Mommy and with my kids at Disneyland. It was GREAT! Maryam ate a full bowl of spaghetti for lunch! As many times as I've seen her eat, I'm always grateful for my wishes and prayers being answered. As a mother, there is nothing worse than not being able to nurture your child, I'll be eternally grateful if I never have to feel that way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment