Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Yosemite Mariposa Grove

We left the village and headed to Mariposa Grove. I wanted the kids to see the Tunnel Tree. I thought it would be fun to get a picture of them in front of it since I've got a few of my cousins and I in front of it too. It didn't happen!
On the drive over there (it's 26 miles and took over an hour to get there) I drove through snow! I've never driven while it was snowing! I was very brave. :) Maryam wanted to get out of the car and get snowed on. She's so funny! So, I pulled over, she and I got out and watched as the snow landed on our hands and melted. She got a little sad when the snow melted. But she wanted me to take a picture of it in her hair, so I did!
We got back in the car and kept on going. The temp ranged from 45 to 27 degrees. When we got back in the car it was 29 degrees! When we got out again at Mariposa Grove it was 34. YIKES! This is when I started to worry about M's Chronic Lung Disease. We were fighting altitude and temperature. Ugh. But she insisted on trying to hike.
So, we hiked in the snow! There was snow everywhere!! The kids kept making snowballs and throwing them at each other and at me. It was fun! We didn't quite make it the 1.3 miles to the tree, but we had fun trying!! After about a mile both kids finally conceded that it was time to go back to the car. It was snowing, getting dark, they were starting to get cold and they were definitely tired! So we headed back! Jax took the way down the fun way and opted to roll down for a few minutes. It was hilarious! Maryam took a break and made a snow angel. And they both made and threw dozens of snowballs at each other and Mommy.
We had a GREAT time! When we got back, after an hour or so, Auntie Karen had the car nice and toasty for us. I changed the kids into dry clothes and we headed home. It was a great day.

In case you're wondering, Maryam needed 2 breathing treatments when we got home. It's 11 pm, it's been an hour since her last one. If she makes it until 2am I know she'll be fine. Hoping she makes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment