Wednesday, August 21, 2013

It's been brought to my attention...

That I have seriously been neglecting my blog. My apologies. Total blogger FAIL. Instead of boring you with excuses, I'll fill you in on all the exciting things that have been going on!
First things first, we're finally moved into our new place. My best friend rented us her house while she prepares to build a new one. My inlaws let us stay with them for a few weeks while we got situated.
I got Maryam registered for first grade! It's so hard to believe my little miracle baby is starting first grade and will be 7 years old in 4 months. Time sure speeds up with age. I also registered Jax for pre-k! He doesn't want to go, but I'm hoping he'll change his mind once he's there. Last of the school news is that I've decided to go back to school to be a nurse. Now that the kids are older, in school, and way less dependent, it's time. I have to start from scratch though because I graduated from college 15 years ago, none of my prerequisites count. I'm nervous, but I know I can do it. Enough about me, I'm boring!
I have very exciting Maryam news! Maryam's eating has come a very long way in the past month. Every night she eats the same food as us. I'm no longer having to cook her a separate meal from the rest of us. It's wonderful!!! She's been trying different meats, veggies, soups, and even some fruits. What? Fruit? Yup! She hasn't found one she likes yet, but she's nearly stopped gagging & turning purple just from them being on her tongue!
If any of you moms out there want to know my technique for getting her to try new things, here's what I do. Everyday I make sure to present her with one solid food (solid is what I call a food I know she eats well) and one new food or food I want her to eat better. I always make sure she's hungry by dinner. I don't usually let her snack within two hours of dinner. After she eats her solid food, she always asks for more. I tell her she can have more AFTER she eats the new food.
1/2 piece of grilled chicken
1 scoop of pilav
8-10 green beans
She'll polish off the pilav then ask for more. I'll tell her to eat 4 green beans & 4 pieces of chicken. If she eats that, then I'll give her another smaller scoop of pilav. If she wants more I ask her to finish her green beans & chicken. By this time, she's usually full, but if she isn't, she gets as much pilav as she wants!
This method has gotten her to eat pork chops both grilled & fried, grilled chicken, meatloaf, soup, corn, broccoli, biscuits, strawberries, & peaches. I'm not above a little trickery either. I tricked her into eating yogurt! I bought Oreo yogurt, I know Oreo, but whatever, you do what you do, & I do what I do. I got her to eat yogurt by calling it an Oreo dessert. She didn't really like it, but again she didn't turn purple or gag either.


No comments:

Post a Comment